Rose and Grafton Mangum built a greenhouse behind their home in Langley Park, MD. They originally sold greenhouse grown flowers at Woman’s Farm Market in Silver Spring, MD and eventually to wholesale florists in Washington, DC.
In the 1930’s, the Magnums’ opened Mangum Florist in Silver Spring, and later sold it to their daughter, Lola Mangum Bell in 1947. Lola and her husband Judson Bell changed the name from Mangum Florist to Bell Flowers and moved the business to 8947 Brookville Rd.
In 1956 Lola and Jud sold the business to her brother Bob Mangum and his wife Shirley. Graduates of Blair High School, Bob and Shirley built the business through hard work and the same focus on great customer service that we carry on today.
Just a few years later, Bob & Shirley’s son Dale, and his wife Margaret, bought Bell Flowers and grew our business into the computer age. Their son Chad, the 4th generation, is now working with our dedicated team as Dale is spending more of his time with Bell Nursery.